Monday 28 August 2023

T. E. Lawrence to Charlotte Shaw

Lawrence of Arabia on a motorcycle on Dr John Dunn. 

 

 

 

 

 


 

I'm taking an interest in T. E. Lawrence at the moment for a variety of reasons, not the least his motorcycling exploits. Here in a letter he describes the likely outcome of a ride on his latest Brough Superior.

Correspondence with Bernard and Charlotte Shaw 1922-1926 (Woodgreen Common, Castle Hill Press)

Lawrence was in Edinburgh in August 1926 visiting Bartholemew's, the famous map-makers, who were producing a map for his Seven Pillars of Wisdom.



Tomorrow morning I will see them and tomorrow afternoon I will be in Cranwell. It takes 7 1/2 hours, on Boanerges,* going respectably. The respectability is mine. Boanerges would go madly, if I would. Alas, surely I grow old. Again and again, this morning, when we came to a piece of road which invited ninety, I patted his tank and murmured “Seventy only, old thing”, and kept to it. The excuse I gave myself was that Edinburgh was a long way and that there must be no open throttle ona long journey. Indeed that was once my maxim: but today I kept the maxim without being vexed thereby: and that is significant. Or is it only that I have ridden too many hundreds of miles this last week?

*Lawrence called his first motorcycle “Boanerges,” a name given to the apostles John and James by Jesus. It means: Son of Thunder.

© John Dunn.

No comments:

Post a Comment